School-In-A-Bag is a campaign that seeks to encourage education for school age children in Katihar, Bihar, especially girls, whose education is affected as a result of economic hardship, insurgency, mass atrocity, internal displacement, child labour, unfavorable traditional practices, cultural beliefs, and/or early/forced marriages (for girls).
In light of the aforementioned challenges, the School-In-A-Bag campaign is designed as an intervention where school bags, loaded with relevant school materials, are distributed to affected school children as a way to encourage, as well as reawaken the quest for education among school-age children.
School-In-A-Bag Project is in line with the ‘Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Abhiyan’ launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in January, 2015 which seeks to empower girl child in all respects. This project mainly focuses on promoting awareness among rural people to educate their girl child so that they can also contribute for making India a superpower. It is a well known fact that education is beneficial for human beings in order to create a smart, skillful, moralistic, strong society and the most important of it they are able to build a positive attitude inside of them to be strong, persistent, tough, decisive and able to face any challenge and graceful in treating all people.
After all, ‘Padhega India tabhi to badhega India’.
The School-In-A-Bag Campaign aims to:
- Re-ignite the interest and quest for education among out-of-school children.
- Encourage education for school-age children, who are unable to enroll or attend school for one reason or the other.
- Motivate parents to consider, appreciate, and ensure formal education for their school-age children.
- Assist and motivate in-school children who lack sufficient materials for their education.
- Contribute to achieving the Education for All goals of the Government of India, especially ‘Beti bachao Beti Padhao Abhiyan’.
- Promote understanding among rural people of Bihar that a Girl child should never be deprived of her basic right to education
Target beneficiaries for the School-In-A-Bag Project are school-age girls in Katihar between ages 6 – 11 (primary education) who are:
- Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) and other school-age victims of crisis;
- Drop outs/out-of-school children;
- School age but not enrolled in school; and
- Underserved in-school children in rural communities.
- Tribal folks who cannot afford basic education for their children.